Scary Stairs

 

When someone builds a house, or remodels it their marks can be seen long after their work has ended, leaving their legacy mark on the house. In the past I have captured some of the horrors that the previous owner of this house left behind in work that looked pretty till you scraped the surface. The stairway that was taken out as a part of Replacing One Wall: Surprise Yeah Right was one such example. The stringers of the old stair case were built out of 2×8’s, which meant that by the time they were notched for the treads there was only a little over an inch of material tying the whole thing together. It was no wonder that no mater what we did these stairs were noisy. They have now been replaced with 2×12 stringers.

137.jpg

Just a little bit better right. I was unfortunately not around for most of this process, but each of those notches had to be marked and cut by hand. I am sorry but I don’t have that kind of stability when I cut.

144.jpg

Between the new stringers going into place and the new treads being installed there was a day or so, but after not being able to get upstairs for a week there were a few items that we needed from our bedroom and the full bathroom upstairs. We started a game of climbing up and down the 1.5″ edge of the stringers and holding onto the stud wall for support. 145.jpg

138.jpg

The new treads are 2x as opposed to the old 1x so they are much more sturdy as well as being just a little bit deeper. Now our absurdly steep staircase is just a little over code steep. The treads are installed upside down and unfinished without risers for the time being until we are able to finish a couple of big projects upstairs. Then we will be without stairs for a little while again the treads are stained and finished. We are looking to go with a dark stain and light grey risers when it is all said and done.

139.jpg

Advertisements

Stall Revamp – Walls

In case anyone has missed it, the cold and snow have rolled into the Midwest. The horse stall that Christopher built for the horses has been holding up great. Going into the winter we have separated the calves and horses so that the calves get a chance to have some hay from the feeder. We have been able to test the plan of leaving the south of the barn open for the horses to come and go from the barn. We have had to make a few upgrades as we have learned that various designs needed to be upgraded.

The first of these was changing the east wall of the stall from being a fence as shown above; to a solid wall to better protect the hay. We were seeing some rain/mist drifting through the barn opening and wetting down the edges of the hay. In an attempt to not have moldy hay Christopher took down the fencing and replaced it with ¾” plywood. The solid wall now does a great job of keeping the hay dry when the door is open, and keeps the horses from pressing on the fence in an attempt to reach the hay stack.

image

image

In addition Christopher has added a flap at the top of the door opening from plywood and 2″x stock. It lowers the height to keep the weather out and can be life’s out of the way for max clearance or increased airflow.

image

Fireplace

The rumor has it that this winter is supposed to be as cold or colder than last winter. Thinking about that makes me cold.  The house has a nice slate wall that was installed for a fireplace when we moved in. These two pieces made it seem like this year was the time to bring in the ventless natural gas fireplace that we have been eyeing up for a few years. Christopher had to spend several nights in the crawl space to get the gas line connections finished up for the stove.

The fireplace came in with some assembly required.

image

image

The guts of the fireplace were in once piece, but the mantle was stacked in thr bottom of the box. Christopher also installed a blower to help move the air around and it sits in behind the mantle.

image

image

The final product looks great, and it will be even better once the floor is redone, and the trim work is finished up.

image

Barn, What Barn?

Over the last few months the old barn has been getting torn down due storm damage last November. The goal was to have it down by March 2015 to get the tax break, so we are a few months ahead of schedule. The progress that the barn has taken in coming down are bellow.
Unwrapping the Barn
Barn Implosion

The last thing to do has been to gather up all of the lumber and pull the remaining posts. It has taken a few weeks; but now it is hard to think that there ever was a barn there.

image

image

image

The scrap wood made for a great addition to the pile that Christopher has been building up. Unfortunately I was not able to get any pictures of thr blaze.

image

Ellie – The Newest Member of C&L Rausch Farm

This weekend the newest member of C&L Rausch farm came home. This is Ellie a 12 year old black Appendix Quarter Horse. She showed up Saturday and has been staying in the small front pasture till she is settled in and a bit more confident about the cattle.

image

image

image

image

Sunday night she got  her bravery up to meet the cows through the fence. It was quite interesting to watch at Thing 2 kept trying to lick her nose.

image

The plan is that by later this week she will be in with the cattle, and restarting her work under saddle.