December Flooding

It has been a few years since we have had the kind of heavy rain that causes flooding to happen, but that is just what we got on December 28th, 2015. By the end of the 28th our weather station was saying that our 24 hour rainfall was into double digits, and this was on the heels of several wet days that had left the ground saturated. The creek adjacent to our house was running high enough to see the water level from the house, a good 6-8’ higher than usual. There was one place where the water level came up enough to breach the bank into our pasture.

image

image

image

In addition both our drainage tile outlet and that for the adjacent field were under water, pushing water up into the fields. The tile that cuts across our property is starting to deteriorate and there were multiple places where mini geysers showed where water from the creek and tile were overflowing through the breaks into our pasture. Even the bridge forms at the back of the property were under water.

image

By the next morning the water had gone across the road about a mile from our house where one of the major creeks runs. It is not uncommon for this to happen during even a mild flood event, but it is always impressive when it happens.

 

image

image

The following night the water had still not gone down enough to clear the road for traffic. We were luckily safe and dry from the storm with only minor leakage into the basement. All in All we thank God that we got through with the worst thing being without power for a couple of hours.

image

image

Advertisements

Phase 1 Shelter

The livestock are going to be very happy with Christopher’s hard work. In taking down the old barn the goal has been to salvage as much of the metal and wood as we could to make other structures on the property. This time Christopher built a run in shed that is 10’x12’ in the front pasture for the calves to stay out of the winter weather. We hope that with drilled posts and solid construction that it will hold up better than last year’s shelter attempt.

image

I helped with moving and installing the posts from the old barn. The heavy duty 6”x6” posts from the old barn, and installing the grade boards to attempt to get the building square. Holding the auger right on center can be a real challenge so it is decently close.

The grade boards were the only purchased wood used on the building. All of the girts and purlins are salvaged 2”x4” lumber. Being able to borrow a friend’s air nailer helped make it easier for Christopher to install all of that part of the structure on his own.

image

image

image

I am not sure how many metal cutting disks were used up as Christophe had to cut each and every piece of metal for the building. The screws that were used are all remainders from the Garage roof a few years ago, and from the new barn. The roof took two people in an attempt to line the screw holes with the purlins while still getting full coverage on the building. The wind was picking up as well for a big rain that night so it was a little bit interesting keeping things in place once we had them lined up before the screws could be put in. Christopher purchased the trim work and we are pretty sure how the whole thing turned out. Until it gets painted it looks like a mini homage to the old barn. 

image

image

image

We will get around to building up the dirt to make sure that the water doesn’t poor into it too bad this winter. The opening and roof height also allow horses to use it as well if the need arises. Eventually we have talked about building another one of these that is a bit larger in the bigger pasture.

Pasture Phase 2.1

Saturday was a long day as we put in the foundation for the large pasture. A few weeks ago we picked up a trailer load of supplier for this fencing project. This pasture will be between 6 and 7 acres. It made a nice full trailer load plus some.

image

Phase 2.1 included all of the corner and bracing for the pasture. We set a total of 17 posts making up 10 H Braces. Luckily we had access to a PTO auger as we would not have gotten so far if we would have had to had dig the holes.

image
Looking back towards the house from the back of the pasture

The humidity was pretty brutal and we even had some lightning striking nearby as we put in the last couple of H’s. We will give the posts about a week to set up and then we will be free to start running the Electrobraid. We will also be able to install the gates as well. We will have to get a new 10′ gate since the gap was mismeasured for the intended 12′ opening.

I Need a Boat

Here in Indiana we have been getting our fair share of the Midwest snow. Many were so happy that the storm yesterday was rain and not snow; but rain plus lots of snow on the ground, plus 50° temperatures equals a lot of water needing someplace to go. I thought that driving home the car might need a snorkel for all of the water running down the roads. I was able to get pictures from around the farm from all of the rain.

image
The pasture
image
The field behind the house
image
Looking east on our road
image
Looking west on our road
image
The water washing across our driveway
image
Another look at the pasture
image
Bank of the creek
image
Under the bridge. Should have 2-4x that clearance
image
The creek merger at the back of thr property.
image
The road in front of the house
image
The driveway entrance

Time will tell where this crests at; but until our tile exit pipe is above the creek level we will be holding onto this water for a while.